However, so is taking some time OFF of the computer! :)
Here’s what I do when I don’t want to bring my computer on vacation, but want to answer emails:
1. I have an outrageously fantastic virtual assistant who can answer 99% of all my emails off the top, which saves a TON of time…
2. Anything she can’t answer, she forwards to my personal email address.
3. I open up my AudioMemos on my iPhone:
(I’m pretty sure this comes standard on all iPhones, but if you don’t have it, you can grab it for free right here.)
(I’m also sure there are Droid and Blackberry apps that will do this same thing…)
4. I open up my email and record (dictate) my responses to all the emails that my assistant didn’t know the answer to.
5. I email the recording to my assistant, and she types out my answers.
(It’s EXTREMELY easy to do if you’re familiar with an iPhone, but the technical details are: make your recording, hit “pause” when you’re done, then hit “done”. The recording will come up in a list of all your recordings… hit the blue arrow next to your recording and select “Email recording”, then put in your assistant’s email.)
Presto! That’s it! In less than 10 minutes you can knock out a TON of emails (and your V.A. will have already hopefully pre-screened the majority).
You don’t need your computer AND you have the joy of knowing things are being taken care of! :)
If you don’t have a smart phone, you can use Jing (free for the basic version) to record little 5 minute video explanations. I use this all the time when I’m on my computer!